Forum User Guide These instructions are for PCs running Google Chrome. If you have a different platform, you may need to improvise.
ADDING AN AVATAR
1. Create an avatar image in jpg format that is exactly 100 x 100 pixels. (It may not be absolutely necessary to have the image in the jpg format, but that is the format that is known to be successful. It is possible to have moving avatars on Runboard, so we assume that it also accepts gif. In most image editors, you can find a way to set the exact pixel dimensions of an image. If the image you enter is not exactly 100 x 100 pixels, it will look pixelated on Runboard.)
2. Go to the imgur image hosting site and create an account.
3. Drop in your jpg image that is exactly 100 x 100 pixels. (When you click the “New post” button on imgur, you can just drop an image in.)
4. Immediately after you drop the image in, right-click on the center of the image and choose “copy image address”.
5. Paste that address in an address bar on your web browser.
6. Delete the “s” in “https” and make sure the image ends with jpg. The image cannot be secure and it must have an image file designation. If you dropped in a jpg image and the address you copy does not end in jpg, you can just append .jpg to the end. Don't forget the "dot".
7. Copy the image address with the “s” deleted and the .jpg appended. After you copy the image, you may wish to enter it into a web browser to verify that it is a valid web address.
8. Log onto your Runboard account and click “Control panel” at the upper right.
9. To the left, click “Miscellaneous settings”
10. Click “Avatar, location, bio, etc...”
11. Enter your avatar’s edited address into the “My avatar” box.
12. At the bottom, click “Save settings”
13. In the upper left, in red, it should now say “Changing misc details...done!”
NAVIGATING THE FORUM
Threads with more than ten posts have a little arrow to the right of the Last Post column. Clicking on this arrow takes you to the last post in the thread:
To get out of a page, links to higher levels in the forum are to the upper left:
KEEPING TRACK OF WHAT YOU HAVE READ (suggested by RedQ)
The envelopes to the left of subforums and threads tell you that you have not looked at them yet.
Runboard allows you to clear these envelopes so that you will be notified only of new entries.
Hit "Mark ALL as read" at the top of the home page, or hit "Mark Forum as Read" at the top of a subforum:
If you do that, you will only be notified of new posts. Do it every time you have checked out a page.
SEARCHING THE FORUM
At the upper right of every page is a search function. It searches only for topic headings:
CONTACTING ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER
Open the member list at the bottom of the forum front page:
Across from the name of the member you wish to contact, click PM:
Enter a subject and a message and click "Send PM". Pray that the member checks their personal messages.
Posts on Runboard are made like posts in any forum. You can see what your post will look like before you commit by using the "Preview" button:
EMBEDDING A YOUTUBE VIDEO
Copy the link in the browser address bar above the Youtube video you wish to embed.
Directly above any posting box, click on the "Embed YouTube" link.
Enter the address into the "Direct YouTube URL" box and press "Go":
This is what you will see in the posting box:
Example of an embedded YouTube video:
(You can switch to Full screen without leaving the thread. To return, click Exit full screen or push your Esc key.)
CREATING BOLD TEXT, UNDERLINED TEXT, BIG TEXT OR ITALICS
[b]Bold Text[/b] gets: Bold Text
[u]Underlined Text[/u] gets: Underlined Text
[big]Big Text[/big] gets: Big Text
[i]Italics[/i] gets: Italics
CREATING COLORED TEXT
Select "Color" at the top left of your posting box:
Type the text that is to be colored into the box that appears and press "OK":
Click on the desired color:
This is what will appear in the posting box:
This is what will get written: THE LADY IN RED
CREATING BIG UNDERLINED TEXT (Note that the u's are nested inside the bigs. It will also work if the bigs are nested inside the u's, but one must be completely nested inside the other.)
[big][u]Big Underlined Text[/u][/big] gets: Big Underlined Text
CREATING BIG, BOLD UNDERLINED TEXT (As with the previous example, note the nesting.)
[big][b][u]Big Bold Underlined Text[/u][/b][/big] gets: Big Bold Underlined Text
CREATING A HYPERLINK
If you post any web address into the posting box and do not uncheck "Automatically convert http:// links?" the forum will automatically turn it into a hyperlink.
However, you can create a more elegant link as follows:
For other more sophisticated techniques, see: phpBB BBCode guide. Some, but not all, of the techniques shown in the phpBB guide will work on our forum. There are countless other guides and suggestions across the Internet. Search: "Bulletin Board Code".
Last edited by TheInvisibleHand, 7/30/2019, 10:09 pm